Are you a private foster carer?
Legal requirements of private foster carers
- Advice on claiming benefits and possible funding for some essential items
- Parenting support and advice
- Help in bringing families in crisis back together
To help you understand the child and to care for them in the best way, you need information from the child's parents or close relative.
This will include:
- their early history
- their health
- eating preferences
- religious, cultural or ethnic background
Voices of private fostering
- Length: 8:12 minutes (7.53 MB)
- Format: Stereo 44kHz 128Kbps (CBR)
Listen to privately fostered young people and a private foster carer speak about their experiences.
Open the transcript for this audio content (pdf).
The publications listed will be of interest to anyone supporting or caring for privately fostered children and young people.
- A very private practice by Terry Philpot, BAAF 2001
- Private fostering England and Wales (2006)
- Private fostering - what it is and what it means A guide for children and young people